In 2018, the College is proud to acknowledge our 35 indigenous students and their families. To create an inclusive evironment, we have consulted with our community to establish a range of initiatives including:
- An annual indigenous flag raising ceremony in February. Three flags are is raised daily - The Australian Flag, The Aboriginal Flag, The Torres Strait Islander Flag.
- A Learning Stone where students and staff can gather for reflection and/or conversation.
- A hand-painted totem designed and erected by a former indigenous student, Alarna Pyper.
- A celebration of significant dates such as Close the Gap Day.
- Reconciliation Week celebrations and activities in May.
- A tutoring program in partnership with Monash University.
- Regular exchanges to Yarrabah in North Queensland.
- Providing students leadership and mentoring opportunities
The curriculum also explores intercultural capability in Civics to develop knowledge, skills and understandings to reflect on how cultural beliefs and practices contribute to individual, group and national identities. We aim to raise awareness and ensure learning opportunities are provided to all our students.
Your ideas and feedback are welcomed.
Key contact: Lisa Ashurst, Marrung Coordinator or Judy Curson, Assistant Principal
Alternatively, you may wish to make direct contact with the Bayside Peninsula Koori Education Support Officers at
Level 2, 1 Petrie St (Cnr Beach and Petrie Sts), Frankston Vic 3199. T: (03) 8766 5673.