Students are introduced to the design process and look at the roles of the designer, client and end user. Students will develop a design brief and evaluation criteria, and then design and create a project which meets the given constraints. Students design and make a small cabinet and a coffee table. Both projects give students room to develop their own ideas and design concepts. Students may work in wood, metal, plastic or a mixture of materials based on each projects constraints. Students are given a choice of finishes and may incorporate various finishes in the final presentation. practical tasks.
Students will develop:
- Practical skills in the use of machines and hand tools.
- An understanding of the design process
- An understanding of correct safety procedures.
- An awareness of occupational health and safety.
- Practical task
- Folio which includes design and drawing tasks