The food sector is dynamic, diverse and creative. Innovative food products are continually being introduced into the marketplace in response to changing social, economic and environmental needs of society. Foods will explore ingredients, techniques and situations which will allow student to plan and design a variety of meals for specific groups. The subject challenges students to make these links and provides them with the opportunities to acquire knowledge and skills to make informed choices when selecting, storing, purchasing, preparing and consuming foods that will contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Students will develop and apply the knowledge and skills for safe and hygienic work practices and food preparation techniques. They will use the design process, critical thinking and problem-solving skills to develop food products to suit specific situations or to meet the needs of individual consumers and their lifestyles.
This unit is a good introduction to VCE Food Technology, Health and Human Development and VET Hospitality.
By the end of the unit students should be able to:
- Understand the stages of a design plan
- Understand a range of technical language and make decisions about ingredients used.
- Understand production stages and required equipment
- Work safely/hygienically with a range of tools
- Develop criteria to evaluate their food product
- Practical work
- Practical work evaluation
- Designing and planning meals