Hairdressing Salon Assistant
Chisholm Institute of TAFE RTO 0260
VET in schools multiplies opportunities for students. They enable students to complete a nationally recognised vocational qualification as well as contribute towards their VCE or VCAL Certificate. Classroom learning is combined with structured hands-on training and practice in industry. The first year will offer students the opportunity to undertake the Certificate II qualification including practical skills in styling, removal of chemicals and basin services and undertake theory studies in client communication. The second year will expand some of the practical skills learnt in the first year, increasing employability skills, including colour knowledge and application, chemical services and hairstyling.
Course Code and Course Title
- SHB20216 Certificate II in Salon Assistant
- Venue: Chisholm Institute of TAFE – Dandenong & Frankston campus
- Time: Wednesday 8.30am – 4.30pm
Applications should be made direct to the provider for this program. This program will offer the student the opportunity to attain the skills of a first year apprentice, practical skills for styling, and removal of chemicals, basin services and client communication.
Students are required to wear closed-toe shoes.
80% attendance is required for successful completion of the program.
Entrance is via an occupational appraisal. Application appraisal forms will be posted to student after application is received online. This form must be returned directly to the Hair & Beauty department. Students are selected for the course according to their aptitude rating on the occupational appraisal for beauty services.
Structured Workplace Learning
Students need to complete 40 hours of structured work placement in industry as part of the course. This should be organised in consultation with Chisholm Institute Structured Workplace Learning complements the structured training undertaken at the school/Registered Training Organisation. It provides the context for:
- enhancement of skills development
- practical application of industry knowledge
- assessment of units of competence as determined by the training organisation
- Increase of employment opportunities and marketability
Contribution to the VCE and VCAL
On completion of the program students are eligible for four credits towards their VCE or VCAL certificate, two at units 1 and 2 level.
Further information on the increment process can be found on the VCAA website: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vet/general/recognition/vetcredit.html
This program will also satisfy the learning outcomes for the VCAL Industry Specific and the Work Related Skills strand.
Units of Competency
The Units of Competency delivered could include the following:
BSBWHS201 Contribute to health and safety of self and others
SHBHCLS001 Apply hair colour products
SHBHDES001 Dry hair to shape
SHBHBAS001 Provide shampoo and basin services
SHBHBAS002 Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation
SHBHIND001 Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas
SHBXCCS003 Greet and prepare clients for salon services
SHBHDES002 Braid hair
SHBXIND001 Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment
SHBXCCS001 Conduct salon financial transactions
SHBXIND002 Communicate as part of a salon team
SIRXSLS001 Sell to the retail customer
To view the latest Units of Competency and course information go to:
See VCE and VCAL students across Victoria exploring their passion through VET, developing workplace skills and knowledge and creating flexible pathways towards future education and employment.
- Certificate II Hairdressing can lead to an apprenticeship or Certificate III Hairdressing with a salon, and can reduce the term of the Apprenticeship by six (6) months. Certificate II Hairdressing can lead to part-time employment in a Hairdressing Salon.
- Certificate II Hairdressing can lead to employment in the retail sector, such as Pharmacies, Hairdressing supply outlets and Hair and Beauty counters in large retail outlets.
- Certificate IV in Hairdressing
- Diploma of Salon Management
- Bachelor of Management; or Bachelor of Business